Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, yet we often cut corners by grabbing a muesli bar or banana as we run out the door. Multiple studies have shown how a good quality breakfast improves brain function throughout the day so it should be a higher priority than your morning coffee. Avoid skipping breakfast with these delicious winter breakfast bowls which can be made to eat on the go.
Breakfast Hash Bowl
Breakfast hash always hits the spot, especially on a cold winter morning. If you’re craving a healthy twist on this breakfast classic we have the perfect recipe for you.
- Sauté brown onion and diced sweet potato in a pan with some butter, garlic, salt and pepper.
- When al dente, add whatever veggies you have in your fridge – broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, bell peppers.
- Sauté veggies with fresh herbs until soft then make holes in the hash for your two fried eggs.
- Crack the eggs into the hash and cook to your liking.
- Top with sliced avocado, salt and pepper.
Tex-Mex Breakfast Bowl
For a protein packed breakfast try your hand at a tex-mex breakfast bowl. This spicy breakfast is the ultimate treat that will give you something to look forward to first thing in the morning.
- Combine cooked quinoa and black beans in a pan with sprigs of cilantro, garlic salt, pepper and lime juice. Cook on low heat.
- Whilst heating, you can get to work on your pico de gallo.
- Dice red tomato, red onion and cilantro, combine in a bowl with lime juice, pepper and salt.
- Fill bowl with quinoa mixture, pico de gallo and a fried egg.
- Top with avocado, a spoon of greek yogurt and sliced jalapeños if you like spice.
Apple Baked Oats
If you have a bit of a sweet tooth but still want to start the day the right way, then healthy apple baked oats could be the way to go.
- Combine oats, milk, baking powder and whisked eggs in a bowl.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and maple syrup to the mix and dish into the pan.
- Sprinkle with cranberries and diced walnuts before popping in the oven.
- Once done these oats can be served with natural yogurt or eaten on their own.
Baked Quinoa Bowl
This vegan friendly baked quinoa bowl gives you an easy and delicious way to pack some serious protein into your day right from the get go.
- Combine 1 part quinoa to 1.5 parts nut milk and add cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg and a dash of salt.
- Pour into a baking dish and cook for 20 minutes, stir and put back in the oven until liquid has been absorbed.
- Whilst the quinoa is baking, combine 1 cup berries with orange juice and maple syrup and stew in the pot until caramelised.
- Top the baked quinoa with stewed berries, pistachios and cashews. Serve with coconut yogurt and granola crunch if desired.
Your Local Fruit Shop
Start your day the right way with wholesome breakfast bowls. Head to Your Local Fruit Shop to pick up the best ingredients for your new breakfast favourites.